Translate

Monday, March 10, 2008

Pastels and Oils






















I've loaded 6 images -- two each of the same subject; one in oil and the other in pastel. While I was taking a painting class at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, North Carolina I painted three paintings of subjects I had done previously in pastel. All of the pastels are about 6 X 9 inches. The Scene of the river in Cody, Wyoming I painted 18 X 24. The red barn and white house painting was done 12 X 24 and the house in the woods I painted 11 X 14; both subjects of southern Wisconsin. As I look at them, I see the differences, the different motivation and the different aspects of each that appealed to me in different ways. It was just interesting doing them in oil, how the media and how the size difference affects how you work. I have one rather blurry picture (the Cody, WY pastel) to apologize for -- I'm using a different camera and I'm still suffering the effects of the computer crash that has taken away my favorite picture software.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite of this group is the one with the cornstalks in front of the barn.