Translate

Friday, March 13, 2009

The portrait



A long time ago I realized that I had an affinity for doing portraits. Pretty early on in art school I was able to get a good likeness in charcoal. Does it take a certain empathy with the human being, maybe not. I don't think John Singer Sargent was a real lover of many of his subjects. For me, it helps. I remember doing a double portrait, husband and wife. He was a jolly soul and easy to paint; the wife was a lot harder -- 40 miles of bad road. I had to think to myself, well, she's somebody's mother and grandmother -- so look at it like that and forget how crabby she looks. It worked and I sold it!! This particular watercolor shown above is done from a black and white photo taken at the turn of the century --- the 1800s to the 1900s --- of a flower seller in London. It's done on a 10 X 14" sheet of Canson watercolor paper.

2 comments:

Jan S. said...

I've always loved your landscapes, Steve... They are peaceful and centering.

I think it is great that you are able to do as much painting and traveling as you have been doing in the last couple of years.

Jack said...

Thats great to know about this n i m really proud of u for your work..thanks for sharing with us..


--
Jack
Plug and play Security Systems no Contracts at the best affordable Prices