Translate

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Secret Life of the Artist Chapter 6


Forty years ago I started art school (yes, forty -- freaks me out too!!) I had already been to college and had a BA degree in Linguistics and thought I would be the old guy among a bunch of 18 year olds, but that was not the case. There were quite a few people in their 40s to 60s in the classes. Pictured here is a shot in the oil painting class with me on the right in my old denim shirt form the Navy; my buddy Dan is on the immediate left; next to Dan is a woman -- not sure who that is, and then Bob Clark. I once did a portrait of Bob and gave it to him. I did quite a few portraits that I gave away, even to some of the models. Since I was a bit older, I was going to honest enough with myself that if I didn't think I was good enough to continue semester to semester I would quit art school and just work at the job I had at that time -- doing animation. I was fortunate to find myself improving and doing good work and exceeding any expectations that I had. I went there to be a portrait painter and did very well. One of the few students to take oil painting in both the morning and afternoon sessions, I worked hard and also painted at home after school if I wasn't working. At home is where I did all the copying of the old masters. I had enough credits to graduate after 3 years, but I stayed another half year just because I loved painting there so much. Some years later I looked at the information brochure for the school and was blown away by how much the cost of the tuition had gone up. Considering that, I could never have afforded to go there in the present time and never had the experience.

No comments: